To Support the documentary, you can Visit the GoFundMe
You can see their webpage @ https://flyinggoosefilm.wixsite.com/mysite
You can see their IMDB entry @ https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17447734/?ref_=nm_knf_t1
My Name is Erik Wieman. I am co-founder of IG Heimatforschung Rheinland-Pfalz/Historical Research Community Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. We are connected to the archaeological services of Speyer. I am a dutch national, living in Germany since 1992.
I want to inform you about the fact we have found the crash site of Halifax NP711, 408 Sqn. RCAF/Royal Canadian Air Force. It crashed in the night 21st/22nd. Feb. 1945 near Leistadt/Germany, close to the City of Worms, its main target. After I heard about the crash I contacted the local newspaper of Bad-Dürkheim/Leistadt for a call for eyewitnesses. Several eyewitnesses contacted me and after visiting them we could pinpoint the crash site on a hillside near Leistadt.
Parts of incendiaries found at the crash site and the eyewitness account indicate the aircraft still carried (parts of) its load on impact. The relatively steep hillside still carried many surface finds. We have applied for an excavation permit at the archaeological services.
After the excavation we plan to plant a memorial in memory of the crew. I hope you can help us in this project, to find more information, and the descendants of the crew. The crew of Halifax NP711:
- Sanderson, Donald McWilliam, Flt. Lt., Service Nr. J/29724, RCAF
- Anderson, Nels Peter Helin, Pilot Officer, Service Nr. C/95210, RCAF, Son of Hans Peter and Hulda Anderson, of Woodside, Manitoba, Canada.
- Gilmore, William James. Flying Officer, Service Nr. J37870, RCAF, Son of Wiliam James Gilmore and Faith Clark Gilmore, husband of Helen Neal Gilmore
- Smith, Reginald Bertram. Flying Officer, Service Nr. J/38711, RCAF, Son of Thomas B. Smith and Catherine Monica Smith, of Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada —
- Wagner, William Wallace. Pilot Officer (W.Op./Air Gnr.), Service Nr. J/95503, RCAF, Son of Robert H. Wagner and Beryl Wagner, of Napanee, Ontario Canada (I already have contact to this family) —
- Wilson, James. Sergeant (Flt. Engr.), Service Nr. 1822188, RAF, Son of Thomas Wilson and Janet K. Wilson, of Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK —
- Sherman, Donald Edison, Flt. Sgt., Service Nr. J/95492, RCAF (I already have contact to this family) –
Descendants often do not know what happened exactly, and where. We want to inform them about our find, our plans to excavate the site in 2018, keep them up to date about our proceedings and inform them about our final goal, a memorial. We want to bring this historical and tragic site, this to date almost forgotten site, in public awareness again. An example of our work (final stage, the memorial) you can find here: https://www.ig-heimatforschung.de/ /05-08-2017-gedenkfeier / Kind regards from Germany Erik Wieman www.ig-heimatforschung.de email@example.com